December has flown by, hasn't it? This month has been crazy busy for everyone I know. For me, my month has been filled with activities surrounding the release of my cookbook, including interviews and a book release party. It's hard to remember that sometimes we need to sit back and take a breather.
But I am looking forward to Christmas. These bacon parmesan brussels sprouts have been a holiday staple in my home for the past 3 years. Think about it. Bacon. Parmesan. Brussels Sprouts.
It's a little decadent, yes. But isn't December the time for celebrating and treating yourself (and the lucky ones who have Christmas dinner with you?)
Basically, you crisp up the bacon in a pan, then sauté the brussels sprouts and shallots and garlic in bacon drippings, which gives them a great smoky flavor. Then you layer the brussels sprouts with Parmesan and bake the casserole dish in the oven until the brussels sprouts and golden and the cheese is nice and melty.
It's so easy that putting this on your holiday menu won't add even an ounce of stress.
Bacon Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
- 3 strips bacon
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the bacon until cooked through and crispy, about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels. Once the bacon is cool enough to handle, chop into small bits.
- In the same pan (don’t drain the bacon fat), briefly sauté the brussel sprouts until lightly golden on the outside, about 2 minutes. (You may have to work in 2 batches.) Add the shallots and garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 more minute. Season with the salt and pepper.
- In a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish, line the bottom with brussel sprouts, shallots, and garlic. Sprinkle a layer of parmesan on top. Add another layer of the brussel sprout mixture. Sprinkle the bacon and rest of the parmesan on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and maybe even slightly golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
Recipe first published Dec. 24, 2009. Revised Dec. 20, 2012.
More brussels sprouts dishes to try:
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Cranberries from Brooklyn Atlas (sister site)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Orange and Ginger Soy Sauce from Wishful Chef
- Indian Spiced Brussels Sprouts from Fuss Free Cooking
- Brussels Sprouts and Prosciutto Bites from Taste for Adventure
- Balsamic -Glazed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Onion from Jelly Toast
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Garlic and Sesame from The Bite House
- Brussels Sprouts Breakfast Hash from How Sweet It Is