One of my favorite things about spring is that sugar snap peas are everywhere right now. If I go to a farmer's market, there will be bins full of sugar snap peas piled high. And inevitably someone offering a sample using the peas, like a salad with a lemony dressing.
My favorite way to cook them is just roasting them in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper, serving them alongside dishes like buttermilk roast chicken. But this week I decided to use them in a stir-fry with some radishes I also picked up at the Greenmarket.
Since I started developing and testing Soy Vay recipes back in January as one of their brand ambassadors, I've made a bunch of really tasty dishes using just a handful of ingredients: Teriyaki Turkey Burgers, Ginger Hoisin Chicken, Teriyaki Chicken Stuffed Mushrooms, and a Garlic Beef and Asparagus Stir-fry. This month, in honor of National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, I decided to do a vegetarian recipe instead.
Which is where this stir-fry comes in. This month I'm trying out the Toasted Sesame Dressing & Marinade, made with sesame seeds, ginger, pepper, hot mustard, and a blend of soybean and sesame oils. Once again, this is another recipe that requires minimal ingredients but results in lots of flavor.
The prep and cooking are both very easy and quick. You wash and trim the sugar snap peas and radishes, then leave the pea pods whole and thinly slice the radishes. Then you quickly stir-fry the vegetables and add a bit of soy sauce, rice vinegar, Toasted Sesame Dressing, and salt. The cooking is done in about three minutes. (So much better than waiting for the oven to heat up!) Simple and fresh, it's a side dish that epitomizes spring.
If you're looking for mains to go with this stir-fry, here are some suggestions:
- Ginger Hoisin Chicken
- Garlic Beef and Asparagus Stir-fry
- General Tso’s Tofu
- Sweet Chili-Glazed Tofu
- Lamb and Fava Bean Stir-fry
What are some of your favorite dishes to make with sugar snap peas or radishes?
Stir-fried Sugar Snap Peas and Radishes
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 5 or 6 small radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Soy Vay Toasted Sesame Dressing
- Salt to taste
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Wash the sugar snap peas and radishes and dry thoroughly with a kitchen towel. Trim the hard ends from the sugar snap peas. Trim the leaves from the radishes and thinly slice the radishes.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and swirl to coat the base. Add the sugar snap peas and stir-fry for 1 minute, until the outsides start to turn golden. Add the sliced radishes and stir-fry for another minute. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and Soy Vay Toasted Sesame Dressing and mix well. Adjust the seasoning with salt. Transfer to a plate and serve.